Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

When Runners Don't Want to Run

I have a confession to make: Sometimes I don't feel like going for a run. Now, as a running coach and avid runner who dreams of one day doing ultramarathons, this is pretty embarrassing to admit. Nevertheless, there have been several days recently that I have not wanted to go running, and even a few days when I skipped my run entirely as a result. But I would venture to guess that I'm not the only runner who has ever felt this way. I think with everything we do, even things we enjoy, we will have our ebbs and flows. And just because we have a down day or even a down week doesn't mean we should just throw in the towel. What it does mean, though, is that we should be evaluating what is going on with ourselves both physically and mentally.

When you lose motivation to run or to exercise, I suggest you take some time to discover the reason behind the loss of motivation. Here are some of the most likely culprits:

1) Physiological: You are not getting enough sleep, you're getting sick or still recovering from an illnesss, or you have crossed the line into full-on overtraining. One major skill taught in Chi Running is body sensing. The basic idea is that you learn to listen to what your body is trying to tell you. Notice if your calves are feeling tight while you run and adjust your stride accordingly. If your back is hurting, pay attention to what it's trying to tell you. Are you bending at the waist? Do you need to engage your core? And in the same way, pay attention to how you're feeling in a whole-body sense. Are you tired? Feeling run-down? If so, maybe taking a day off or foregoing that interval workout for the week is just what you need. But if not, pull yourself out of bed and get out there while you consider other reasons for the decrease in motivation.

2) Mental/Emotional: Sometimes we can lose our motivation because we have hit a plateau and aren't seeing improvement; or because fear starts getting the better of us: I'm afraid to do that distance, afraid to run that race, afraid of the hard work my current training plan is going to require, etc. Or we are overtraining (yes, I know I mentioned this in the physiological reasons as well, but overtraining can have both physical and mental repercussions). When we start losing the mental game, the best thing to do is address the fears or issues head-on. Plateaus are an expected and healthy part of any training (see my blog post about plateaus); but if you linger too long on that plateau, it may be time to jump-start things by introducing a change in your training program, such as cross-training or perhaps pushing yourself extra hard for a week. If fear is what is getting you, acknowledge that to yourself instead of trying to ignore it, then decide how you are going to respond. Will you let fear control you? Or will you focus on your weaknesses until they become your strengths? As for overtraining, that will typically manifest itself as moodiness, irritability, depression, and/or grumpiness along with the physiological symptoms of feeling run-down and devoid of energy. If this is what you are experiencing, take a day or two off and get some extra sleep.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes all you need to do to find renewed motivation is change things up a little bit. Do your next run on a different path; if you typically run alone, invite a friend to run with you; if you normally listen to music, try running without it and notice the sounds around you and the signals your body is sending you. Add some bursts of speed during your slow runs. What you're aiming for is to not let yourself get derailed from your goals when all it may take to stay on track are some minor tweaks.

As for me, I realized that my body was just needing extra rest as a result of too many late nights at the same time that I was taking my running up a notch. Once I started making sleep a priority again, my motivation and excitement for running came back stronger than ever. If your motivation is lagging as mine was, take heart. You may just be a small change or two away from getting the passion back.

No comments:

Post a Comment